Laura Smolcic is a registered Clinical Psychologist at Growing Bones.
As a psychologist, Laura has treated clients with an array of mental health conditions from Depression & Anxiety disorders (including GAD, OCD), Personality Disorders, Eating Disorders and Bipolar Disorder to Post Natal Depression, Schizophrenia, Drug and Alcohol abuse/misuse.
Laura uses a range of evidence-based psychological therapies from Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behaviour therapy (DBT) skills to Schema therapy & Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
The psychological sessions offered provide high Medicare rebates for clients on a GP Mental Health Plan (with small gap fees).
AND FOR A HEALTHIER BODY….
Research indicates there are many psychological therapies (based on Cognitive Behavioural concepts) that can assist a majority of body image & eating disorder problems (Paxton & McLean, 2009).
Having a background in Education and Fitness, Laura is particularly passionate about teaching & assisting clients in areas concerning body image issues, weight management, dysfunctional & disordered eating behaviours.
Please find below an article from the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website:
What is a psychologist?
• A psychologist could help you, your friends, family or colleagues lead a happier, more meaningful life.
• Psychologists provide their expertise by assessing and diagnosing a range of problems, developing strategies and treatments, and offering guidance and support.
• Psychologists provide these services in a wide range of public and private settings, including health, mental health, disability, family services, community, schools, corporate and business, education, sport and the performing arts.
• Many people at some point in their lives will have need for psychological advice or care. Here are just a few examples:
• People suffering from the stresses of modern life
• A new mother not coping
• A retrenched worker with depression
• Individuals struggling with long-term mental illness
• A truck driver with alcohol problems
• People dealing with major health problems
• A retiree coping with loss
• Individuals battling addictions
HOW TO BOOK SESSIONS:
(i) Book in to your local GP to obtain a GP Mental Health Plan
(ii) Call Laura on 0402 057 205 and soon initial appointments can be booked online at www.growingbones.com.au
(iii) Sessions can be paid for via Cash or Credit card
(iv) After sessions are paid, Medicare can directly transfer the money back into your account (if you are registered for Medicare online payments); or you can go to a Medicare office with your invoice to obtain the Medicare Gap benefit
(v) Medicare benefits can be provided for up to 10 psychological sessions per calendar year. After every 6 sessions, you will need to go back to your GP to obtain a GP Mental Health Review Plan.
(vi) Sessions can be paid for via Private Health insurance (check your Health Insurance provider if you are covered & for the amount of cover you will receive)
All sessions are confidential & ethical standards will be applied in accordance to guidelines from AHPRA & the APS.
Laura is available Wednesdays at Growing Bones, please call 03 9687 3040 to book your appointment.