Don’t put the weight of the world on their shoulders!
By Osteopath, Kirsten Murray
A child’s backpack shoulder only weigh 10% of their body weight.
Over packing to only 15% increases the force emitted by 50% and the pressure on their shoulders by 70%.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT?
- Over 50% of students ages 9-20 have chronic back pain from poorly worn backpacks
- Back pain as an adolescent can predispose to developing back pain later in adult life
- As well as back pain, heavy/poorly designed backpacks can be involved in the development of idiopathic adolescent scoliosis
WHAT COULD WEARING A BAD BACKPACK DO TO THEIR SPINE?
- There are several links between backpack use and spinal posture. There is a clear link between backpack load and back pain because of associated gait and postural changes that occur.
- Flattening of the Thoracic and Lumbar spinal curves is what has been seen to happen when wearing a back. This flattening effect exemplifies as the load increases.
SOME SIMPLE TIPS TO HELP PACK AND CHOOSE A BACKPACK
If you are concerned about your child's posture, or if they are comping of pain, BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH OUR OSTEOPATHS. They can also give you tips on choosing the right backpack for your child's posture.